There are often technical, financial and operational barriers when it comes to implementing electronic document management systems but there are also a lot of benefits to be had when the systems are in place. Unfortunately, a lot of companies are still stuck in the past when it comes to paperwork and for that reason, they don’t want to move away from what they know by scanning documents over to an online system. They don’t want to generally move away from their comfort zone and change over to regulated online documentations. As companies such as http://www.filestreamsystems.co.uk/ would tell you, the benefits far outweigh the disadvantages and if you choose to move away from paper and into a cloud system. We have listed the main benefits you will find by moving over:
- Security: online electronic management systems are full of regulated content which can be extremely sensitive and having adequate security is imperative to your business and your clients privacy. This becomes hard to achieve with paper or file share based documents. Being able to show traceability of documents can be a requirement for some companies and without that traceability, your security is useless.
- Better versions: have you ever wondered how often you’re working on the latest version of a document? An electronic document management system has built in version control which allows you to automatically version documents with timestamps and date additions and ensure that a full document history is available to you whenever you want to see it. Usually it can get confusing if more than one person is working on the same document and the issue there is having multiple copies of the same document!
- Backups: As mentioned before, companies like http://www.filestreamsystems.co.uk can advise you that if you don’t know what content you have it can be difficult to ensure that the content is backed up. Having an uploaded cloud system as well as an online system and then having a paper trail on top means that if there was a fire which damaged the paperwork, you’re backed up in the new system and should there be a flood that damages the computers, you’re backed up in the cloud! Back up your backups at all times. Electronic document management systems centralise all your records and encourages the creation of these records in one location. This allows for much easier retrieval!
- Electronic document management frees your staff from the total chore that is bulk paper filing and additional tools help streamline work processes even further. Sometimes this can actually render some jobs as useless and equal cuts in the budget!
- Ultimately, the same documents can be filed under more than one heading and it will help to reference your work which will make life much easier for you and your company. This isn’t possible with paper documents unless you photocopy lots of copies of the same information but this actually creates more work and more paper documentation and what we are trying to achieve is lessening that!
- Lastly, moving over to an electronic documentation system actually frees up your floor space in the office. Moving out of the filing cabinets and into the cloud means all those cabinets taking valuable room away from the office can go! You’ll be able to move the office around a bit or add more staff should you be able to afford to.